Google+ Bree Bronson's Babies: A laid-back vacation

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

A laid-back vacation

Photo: wikipedia.org
We were on a holiday. All of us four (and half). During the spring Husband started to talk about how nice it would be to travel somewhere and at the end of the day we ended up in Alanya, Turkey. We picked a huge all-inclusive resort and chose a large room with a separate living room where we could relax while the kids were sleeping. Our main thought was that the kids would be a bit bigger now so at least Son would be good company to travel with. Well. Depends how you look at it.

In terms of our vacation plan there were definitely some things that were a success:

The resort.

Just what a monkey circus like our family needs. The room was great for us, there were plenty of activities for the kids including a nice kiddy pool and the food was plenty and available during certain times. I couldn't ask for a better place to stay.

The destination.

Alanya is touristy but there are some interesting sights as well. The beaches are suitable for kids and we could walk on the streets relatively undisturbed. The sun was shining and the locals seemed to like kids. Which is very important when we show up. Turkey is also very free-minded to be an islam-dominated country, I didn't have to worry about how I dress and for example alcohol (which none of us was drinking) was available everywhere. The flight there from Finland wasn't too long either, around 4 hours. I could travel there again for a family holiday.

Husband.

He was behaving surprisingly well. No temper tantrums or other ridiculous stuff and he was helping with the kids all the time. His was shouting at the kids a lot though because...

...There were some things we couldn't quite anticipate:

Son.

Behavior-vice I wasn't expecting much from Daughter, she's two anyway. But I somehow thought that Son would be already a bit more...sensible? Older? Something. But I was wrong. I mean, he does get temper tantrums at home as well for sure, he's still only four. But he's mostly a great guy to hang out with (which wasn't the case two years ago to be honest) and he has common sense and understands reasonable rules and limitations. All this seemed to fly out of his head as soon as we entered the airport building in Helsinki. He was sitting on timeout already before passport control. He started to get his manners back only after a couple of days. I don't know why this happened. Was it all too exciting for him? Were I and Husband somehow tense and Son reacted to that? I have no clue. Anyhow, especially Son's behavior was such that Husband announced after the first day that he will consider a trip with the kids next time earliest after six years. We will see about that.

I think that the trip went rather well after all. No accidents and no-one got ill or sunburned. After the first nightmare-behavior days I pointed out to Husband that the kids aren't actually behaving any better at home. He just hasn't really spent time with them so much. Also, when I'm alone with the kids they somehow seem to behave better than when Husband's around. Go figure.

I wouldn't consider this a real, relaxing holiday though. I'm exhausted. Just watching after the kids in an environment like that is ten times the job thjan at home. And with my current belly I'm out of energy quite quickly. Son announced that he'd like to stay in Turkey and live there so he could swim every day. I doubt I could have taken another week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you say it, I'll hear you.