Google+ Bree Bronson's Babies: Handy Housewife has a traditional profession

Friday, February 8, 2013

Handy Housewife has a traditional profession

Grandpa and the bread in the 70's
I used to work in a supermarket as a teenager, my job was to bake ready-made, frozen breads, pies and pastries. What I did was put them in the oven from the gigantic freezer and then slip them in small bags for the customers. So not a baker job indeed but it gave me some pocket money. The funny thing was that my grandpa used to have a real bakery nearby sometime in the 60s and 70s. He was a proper oldschool baker who got up 3 AM and baked rye bread day in day out. Naturally my Father had a blast when I started my "baker" job and joked about it constantly.

Quite soon after I'd started working in the supermarket I got old ladies and gents coming to me carefully studying my name tag. After a while they would start talking: "You know what, girl? Long ago, before you were born, there was a bakery near here that was owned by a man with a same name you have. The bakery also carried his name." When I gladly admitted that it had been my grandpa's bakery the old folks were visibly touched: "Oh my, it's fantastic that your fine, traditional professional goes in the family! Good luck to you!" I had the same conversation several times with different seniors. I never had heart to tell them what my job was really about.

Father had a blast though when he heard how much my skills were appreciated among the clientele.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you say it, I'll hear you.