Google+ Bree Bronson's Babies: Don't eat that thing

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Don't eat that thing

Photo: en.wikipedia.org
I've wanted to write about this for a longer time already, but I've been too fed up with the whole issue to be able to produce a piece text I could actually publish. So I've been working on this post for ages. Let's see how this goes now.

I used to think that I as a vegetarian and lactose-intolerant am always the one who is the pickiest about food in our family. Little did I know: the kids are. And oh, don't get me wrong, they would eat almost anything if they wouldn't get sick. It started around Son's first birthday.

I thought first that he'd caught a stomach flu. When the diarrhea had continued for some time I became worried. The doctor didn't think it was anything special. Neither did Husband who thought I was being hysterical. (Easy for him to say, he wasn't the one changing nappies all day.)

When Son was almost 2,5 years old I'd had enough. I had suspected that Son is allergic to something but I hadn't been able to come up with what. This time I was so determined when we visited the doctor that they took us seriously. After visiting a handful of other doctors and going through several tests we found out that Son was allergic to milk, wheat, rye and soya. Most of this I found out myself, the tests didn't show anything because Son didn't have "traditional" skin symptoms.

By this time Daughter had also been born and I'd noticed the same symptoms with her. Now I didn't wait anymore but went to the doctor straight away. I was probably so angry that we were taken seriously and Daughter was tested. She's worse off than Son and can't even eat rice. By this time, almost two years after Son's problems started, Husband started to believe me the first time. I was ready to divorce him right there.

Today I spend my days cooking, trying different foods for the kids to expand their diets and making sure no-one gives anything inappropriate to them. I once caught Father feeding cake to Daughter. She was sick for a whole week after that. The doctors have very varying attitudes, I'm fed up with most of them. Sometimes I'm bitter, sometimes I feel lucky when I come across with a mom whose kid doesn't grow because all he can eat is pear and cauliflower.

Why this rage and anger? Because no-one, no-one took me and the kids' problems seriously for 1,5 years. I was changing poop nappies all day (I won't bother you with details about the mess a toddler with constant diarrhea makes in the house) and a bunch of people were telling me it was normal. Those people included Husband, his parents, Mother and Father. I was completely alone on this quest and it made me nuts.

The thing I'm trying to say to all of you, especially to them whose kid has any special needs is: trust yourself. If you're the one taking care of the child most you will know when something's wrong. If the doctor disagreees, find another one. If medicine as a science isn't able to explain and diagnose something, it doesn't make the problem non-existing.

My mistake was to believe everyone else for too long. I will probably be bitter for that for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you say it, I'll hear you.